Skip to content


Utah State Board of Education
Coronavirus Resources
State of Utah Coronavirus Information

Concurrent Enrollment Guidance Document for COVID-19 Stay Home Stay Safe Initiative

Each higher education entity is approaching grading options and procedures in a slightly different manner. This document is not meant to replace the primary source communications students may be receiving from their concurrent enrollment (CE) higher education institutions, but only to centralize the communications the schools and district have received into one location. 

Important Note:  Specific questions regarding an individual student situation or education plan should be directly addressed between the student, high school guidance counselor, and CE on-campus advisor.

General Guidance for CE Grade Postings
USBE encourages CE students to complete their Spring courses and earn the college credit they have worked for. Students for whom the transition from classroom to remote instruction has disrupted their ability to complete coursework, a P or CR option provides credit without negatively affecting GPA. Because opting for a grade or withdrawing from CE courses can impact future postsecondary work from financial aid and scholarship eligibility to requirements for specific majors, and because each Utah college or university has different deadlines and different alternative grade options, CE students are strongly advised to speak with a campus advisor before choosing an option other than a letter grade.  

Source: Nathan Auck, Early College Programs Utah State Board of Education Office 4/17/2020

Qualification Guidelines - Credit Requirements for Major
Several majors courses (including Gen Ed courses that count toward a major) might not count toward majors credit if the grade is changed to Pass/Withdrawal. Because of this, students must work very closely with their instructors and concurrent enrollment coordinators/counselors to determine whether Pass/Withdrawal is right for them.

Source: Brandon Kowallis, SLCC Concurrent Enrollment Director 4/2/2020

NCAA Eligibility
The Eligibility Center will apply the credit earned in these courses toward the core course requirement in the student's certification. If the student's core-course GPA would increase by assigning a value of 2.300, this value will be assigned to the Passed courses. However, if the student's core-course GPA would decrease by including the 2.300 value for Passed courses, the student’s core-course GPA will be calculated based only on courses with assigned letter grades from other available terms (credit from these courses will still be applied toward the student's core course requirements). 

Note: This policy will apply to students from all grade levels (e.g., freshmen, sophomores) who successfully complete NCAA-approved pass/fail courses in Spring/Summer 2020.

In practical application, this means that if a student has a 2.0 GPA and they receive a P, that P will transfer as a 2.3, thereby increasing their overall GPA. If a student’s GPA is above a 2.3, all Ps will transfer as credit, but not affect their GPA.


Patty Norman, Deputy Superintendent of Student Achievement Utah State Board of 

 Education Office April 22, 2020

Financial Aid Eligibility
If a student withdraws from a Concurrent Enrollment class during COVID-19, this may or may not render them ineligible for federal financial aid when they enroll as an undergraduate student (depending on how many other college credits they have attempted and completed, also known as Satisfactory Academic Progress/SAP).

During this pandemic, colleges have been granted greater flexibility in granting SAP appeals. UHEAA recently spoke with Utah college’s financial aid directors about this issue. They instruct that, if a senior withdraws from one or more Concurrent Enrollment courses during this time, they should contact the financial aid office at the college or university where they plan to enroll as a freshman to:

  1. check if the withdrawal(s) will drop them below their school’s SAP threshold and therefore render them ineligible for financial aid, and;
  2. complete a SAP appeal if the withdrawal did render them ineligible.

Source: Katie Mazzie, UHEAA Manager of Outreach and Scholarships 4/16/2020

Letter Grade vs. “P” or “CR”  Considerations
For students considering the use of pass (P)/incomplete (I) grades, there are some points of consideration to keep in mind:

  • There are likely private scholarships that affect a small number of students that operate under circumstances where  a “P” grade posting calculated equivalent with a “D” letter grade posting.
  • There are some professional applications (including the health professions) in some institutions that don’t award credit for entry to students earning a “P” in a particular course.
  • There are many awards (including valedictorian and salutatorian) at Utah Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs) which can be affected by having “P” grade posting on a student’s transcript.
  • The Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) administered scholarships (including both Regent’s and New Century) will be unaffected by P/I, nor will local scholarships administered by Utah IHEs.

Source: Nathan Auck, Early College Programs Utah State Board of Education Office 4/17/2020

    Carrie Beckman, USHE Scholarship Updates 4/20/2020

Grade Match Reminder
If the high school grade doesn’t match the college grade, neither the high school nor college receive funding for that student registration. We ask all students to please follow the grade change request procedures for each higher education partner institution. Currently, most institutions are using the “P” or the “CR”  to designate credit beyond a letter grade. USHE will code any “P” in Skyward as a match with either of these higher ed grade postings. 

Source: Cyd Grua, Utah System of Higher Education 4/15/2020

SLCC Pass/Withdraw Grade Options
SLCC has an option for traditional adult students and concurrent enrollment students to receive a P/W grade in lieu of their final grade toward the end of the Spring semester only.

The withdrawal deadline for SLCC CE students has been extended until April 30 for students wishing to make the decision to withdraw sooner than the May 31 deadline listed below.

Students can choose Pass/Withdrawal only AFTER they have received their final Spring Semester course grade. See grade change process below.

For each Spring Semester course that the student receives a letter grade for, they will have until May 31 to change that course grade to Pass/Withdrawal. 

A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C grades change to Pass
C-, D+, D, D-, E grades change to Withdrawal

If a student changes a letter grade to a Withdrawal that student registration will no longer be eligible for state concurrent enrollment funding. 

Grades that are changed to a Pass will be. High schools will need to be sure that the high school transcript reflects this so that the grade on the college transcript matches with the grade on the high school transcript.

Changing a course from a letter grade to Pass/Withdrawal means that course will not be included in the student’s GPA calculation.  Non-major Gen Ed courses will transfer to USHE institutions with a Pass grade attached.

How to change a SLCC course grade to “P” or “W”

To ensure that the high school is aware of the intent and decision of the student, SLCC is not making this request form publicly available. A student may request a grade change to Pass (P) or Withdraw (W) by working with the high school concurrent enrollment coordinator who will provide the student the link to the form after discussing any potential impacts the decision may have on high school graduation requirements.  Once the form is submitted the SLCC Concurrent Enrollment Office will process the request once the grade has been posted by the instructor in the SLCC Banner system through MySLCC.

Source: Brandon Kowallis, SLCC Concurrent Enrollment Director 4/2/2020 and 4/8/2020

Snow College Concurrent Enrollment COVID-19 Action Plan
For the remaining Spring 2020 semester, students will watch their courses live on Canvas using the blue "Conferences" link on the left-hand side of the Canvas course. Students will log into Canvas. Go into the course’s page, and click on the “Conferences” link. The student will find the live broadcast under the New Conferences section. Recordings will be made available 3 hours after the class has completed in the Completed Conferences section. Recordings and notes from the live lectures will be available for 14 days after the initial recording date. Students are expected to watch the course live, during its normally scheduled time. If the student can't view the class live, the student is expected to watch the recording before the next lecture.

Big Blue Button Tech Support Hotline: 435-283-7474.

Face-to-Face classes taught at the high school by a high school teacher, will resume as instructed by the high school's administration. If high school classes are put online, Face-to-Face classes will follow suit.

We want to limit the disruption for students as much as possible. This will continue through the end of the Spring semester. CTE classes will be handled the same. Creativity will likely be necessary to complete the CTE labs.

There will likely be an option for a Concurrent Enrollment student to elect to take a Pass/Fail grade within the guidelines established by Snow College. Through the end of the semester, students will be asked to use online proctoring software for text and quizzes. If the student is not able to access the online software, they will be asked to go into their high school and take the test with a proctor there. If that is not an option, please reach out to your professor to arrange another method to take your test.

If you have any questions or concerns about Concurrent Enrollment, please contact Snow College Concurrent Enrollment Director Mike Daniels at 435-283-7320.


Utah State University

Utah Valley UniversityPass/Withdraw Grade Options

Weber State University Pass/Withdraw Grade Options